Skip to main content

Washington College archaeological dig records

 Collection
Identifier: MS-0121

Scope and Contents Note

This collection contains project documents, field notes, drawings, photographs, artifacts, and reports related to the dig.

Dates

  • Creation: 1981; 1989; 2015

Access Restrictions

Collection is open for research.

Publication Rights

Copyright has been assigned to Washington College. All requests for permission to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the Archives and Special Collections. Permission for publication is given on behalf of Washington College as the owner of the physical items and as the owner of copyright in items created by the donor.

Organizational History

As Washington College’s bicentennial approached, Associate Professor of Art Dr. Robert Janson-Lapalme spearheaded an archaeological dig to locate the foundations of the College’s original 1782 building, which was destroyed by fire in 1827. The original construction was at the top of the hill above the green where the Hill Dorms currently reside. Middle Hall, the college’s oldest building, constructed in 1844, was also undergoing restoration at the time. This allowed for a preliminary exploration of the basement starting in January 1981. A full archeological dig began a few months later.

Full Extent

2.5 Cubic Feet (3 boxes)

Language of Materials

English

Physical and Technical Access Restrictions

None.

Title
Finding Aid to The Washington College Archaeological Dig Records
Author
L. Sheldon
Date
2025
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin
Language of description note
Description is in English.

Repository Details

Part of the Washington College Archives & Special Collections Repository

Contact:
300 Washington Avenue
Chestertown MD 21620